Saturday, July 12, 2014

In the AFL, you'll get away with being racist and laughing at poofters.


RANT ALERT

Yes, I've had enough.  I've had words stirring in my melon for weeks/months now.

The AFL has been giving me the shits.

Tonight, Brian Taylor called Harry Taylor a poofter.

Now, I didn't see the incident BT was referring too, but I have heard his comments through the wonders of the internet.

Brian Taylor was referring to Harry Taylor's wave to the crowd, which I understand it to be similar to her Majesty the Queen's royal wave.

He has since apologised for saying "I am up here getting ready for the game and I’ve just seen that crap from Harry - he’s a big poofter".

His apology is "In the pre-game show I said something that I regret, and I sincerely apologise in regard to Harry Taylor and anyone, and particularly Harry and any of his friends, that were offended by my remark. I apologise for that and I sincerely regret any harm that I have caused."

Now, I'm not going to get stuck into Brian Taylor's comments, even though what he said is something that is totally intolerable for a broadcaster or anyone to be saying, with poofter being a slang and derogatory word for homosexual.

I'm getting my two cents in before something happens such as a ban from the media or the sacking of Brian Taylor in his role.

If Brian Taylor gets given the arse then there are obvious double standards within the media and the AFL. Sure, by referring to being gay is the equivalent of being a loser is not acceptable, but the past history of acceptance of other outrageous comments is my issue.

Bring in Eddie McGuire's comments for has racist outburst referring Aboriginal Adam Goodes to a monkey on national radio.

Eddie McGuire, President of Collingwood Football club, radio host, TV Host, AFL commentator etc. A blatant, racist remark that was immediately shunned by his on-air peers and everyone else reading the newspapers.

What was McGuire's punishment? The AFL had ordered McGuire to mediation with Goodes and to take tolerance classes, with a fine of up to $20,000.

Eddie still does all his media commitments.  He is still the President of the Collingwood football club. He is still the face I see hosting the footy on Foxtel. I don't think he even was temporarily banned from any of his appointments at the time of his racsit slur.  In fact, he was on TV more to cover his backside for his idiocy.

Unbelievable isn't it.

My point is, if Brian Taylor loses his job, the media and AFL has double standards.

Sack them both!!  Sack Brian Taylor, sack Eddie McGuire.

While I'm there, let's point our finger at the other broadcasters for laughing at BT's comments.

Pfft... they'll all get away with it.

But I hate how just because Eddie McGuire has a big grip in the AFL, being a President and also being a charitable person for indigenous groups as well as charities, that his outrageously insensitive remarks didn't take it's toll one little bit.  That Eddie McGuire kept all his sponsorships, kept all his high profile roles.

It did take it's toll though. It affected any Aborigine that heard it, this I can assure you.

Makes me so mad that even though he was completely embarrassed, he's gotten away with it.

So, if Brian Taylor loses his job for his homosexual comments, even temporarily, everyone is going to be rejoicing in the streets. Yes, he is totally the most annoying broadcaster and his comments are completely wrong and stupid, but bring harsher penalties to McGuire, the owner of the forgotten racist slur that the AFL has swept under the rugs.

I'm not even touching the AFL umpire Razor Ray using the 'retarded' word in game.

I'd rant and rave more, but I'd just be here, typing away too long.

I do apologise though for giving more breath to previous racism, hence why I was sitting on this post for a while. For that I am sorry, but know I am thankful for the wonderful Aboriginal culture and stories that I will one day teach to my own child.

Anyway, that's enough from me.  Love to hear from you guys.

- tork